Southwest Cougars Split

The Cougars welcomed the Pembina Valley Hawks to Souris on Saturday night and started the 2019 off with a convincing 5-1 win. Sunday afternoon the Cougars blew a three goal lead and fell in overtime 4-3 to the hard skating Central Plains Capitals.

The Cats and Hawks played a close first period. Callum Fortin scored his 25th goal of the season when he slid the puck home 4 minutes into the game from Hunter Andrew and Hunter Wallace on a nice give and go. The Clyne twins hooked up 6 minutes into the second with Tanner Clyne banging the puck home from Austin Clyne. The Cougars were controlling play with Randy Cooke making some big stops when a Hawks dump in took a crazy bounce off the glass and found the back of the Cougar net with Cooke out to play the ring around. Cooke was solid the rest of the way facing 28 shots while the Cougars fired 34 shots at Brock Moroz. The Cougars took over in the third. Tyson Pringle hooked up with Rylan Gudnason and Tanner Clyne to make it a 3-1 score 7 minutes in. Trevor Hunt fired a shot from the high slot from Grady Lane at the 17 minute mark and Rylan Gudnason finished the scoring a minute later from Cody Gudnason and Jordan Boyechko.

article continues below

Sunday afternoon the Capitals made a final visit to Souris. Tyson Pringle opened the scoring with a shorthanded goal. Cory King got the puck to Hunter Andrew who set Pringle free behind the Caps D zone and he sent a laser to the top shelf to open the scoring as the Cougars owned the first period. Cory King scored early in the second from Hunter Wallace and Callum Fortin early in the second and then Grady Lane took the puck from Rylan Gudnason inside the Caps zone and when around the defenders and deposited a back hander into the back of the net.

The Cougars were ready to head to the room with a three goal lead but the Capitals found the back of the net with 25 seconds left to break Caden Wilson’s shutout bid. The third period saw the Cougars crumble as they got skated into the ice with the Caps scoring at the 11 minute mark and then tied the game with just over 3 minutes left as they outshot the Cougars 18 to 8 in the third period. The overtime went back and forth with both teams having chances to win. Ryan Botterill scored his second goal of the game with 5 seconds left to send the Cougars home with a single point. Caden Wilson finished the game with 37 shots, while the Cougars fired 26 at the Caps net. The Cougars failed to score a power play goal on the weekend.

The Cougars visit Yellowhead this week before heading to Winnipeg for a pair of games this weekend.

© Melita New Era