Minutes of the regular meeting of the Council of the Town of Melita held in the Town of Melita Council Chambers on Tuesday, October 8, 2019, at 9:00 a.m. Present: Mayor Bill Holden, Councillor Brian Teetaert, Councillor Eric Forster, Councillor Jocelyn Skelton, Councillor Grant Hume and CAO Sandra Anderson
The agenda was adopted as amended. Additions: In Camera, Letter of Support re: Dog Trainers.
Foreman Kerry Tilbury:
• Reviewed Safety Courses that is a requirement for all Public Works employees.
• Concern with North Drive. The chip sealing will not be done due to weather conditions this year. Zenith Paving will be responsible for driveways and intersections. The Town is responsible for the street. Kerry will contact Zenith to make sure everyone in on the same page.
• The campground is closed for the season. Everything has been winterized.
• There are pot holes that need to be fixed.
• Christmas lights – this will be looked in to.
• The lock for the lagoon gate has arrived.
• The grader needs to be blading streets and back lanes. Also the Lodge parking lot.
The minutes of the regular meeting of September 24, 2019 were adopted as circulated.
By-law #2019-006, to close a road and sell part of a public road known as Bank Street, was given a first reading.
The Council of the Town of Melita received a written request from the Melita and Area Volunteer Fire Department for a funding donation; Council approved a one-time funding donation to the Melita and Area Volunteer Fire Department in the amount of $100.
The Council of the Town of Melita received a written request from the Melita School Band for a donation for a fundraiser being held on October 26, 2019; Council approved a one-time donation of $50 to the Melita School Band.
The request from Ken Cheyne, representing the Music Jam & Dance, to rent the hall every third Thursday of each month starting in November 2019 and ending in April 2020 at a price of $60 per dance was approved.
The Council of the Town of Melita has received written request for the Melita & Area Link Food Pantry to conduct their annual fall canvas for food and cash donations; Council approved the Melita & Area Link Food Pantry to conduct the annual fall canvass and approved a donation of $50.00.
The Town of Melita received a written request from the Melita & Area Christmas Cheer Board to conduct their annual fall canvass and to have snow removed from the front of the Golf Course Clubhouse and a cash donation; Council approved the canvassing, snow removal from the front of the Clubhouse and approved a donation of $50.
Mayor Bill Holden
• Personnel – Safety courses for Public Works employees
• Police – the RCMP local detachment placed a temporary sign in front of the school showing your speed.
• Water and Sewer – the concern with the sewer at the private campground has been handled by Public Works. The water rate study was presented to Council and a follow up meeting with Dale Lyle will be set up.
• SW Regional Water Co-op – next meeting is October 9 at the Town office.
• Elderly Persons Housing
• Streets & Lights
The Invoice Edits list, for the period ending October 4, 2019, has been examined and found to be in order; the accounts in the amount of $268,430.42 has approved and paid by administration.
Accounts for the Town of Melita, for the period ending September 30, 2019, have been examined and found to be in order; the following has been approved as paid by the administrator – Cheques 31145-31174 in the amount of $4,316,447.76.
Accounts for the Town of Melita, for the pay period ending September 30, 2019, have been examined and found to be in order; the following Deposit Registers in the amount of $19,195.45 have been approved as paid by the administrator.
The Council of the Town of Melita holds a reserve account known as the Federal Gas Tax Reserve; the Melita Communiplex Committee has requested $150,000 for the over expenditure on the Project No. 4889; Council approved a one-time payment of $150,000 from the Gas Tax Reserve.
The Municipality of Two Borders have committed to lending $550,000 to the Melita & Area Communiplex Committee to be put towards expenses for Project No. 4889; Council of the Town of Melita will enter into an agreement with the Municipality of Two Borders for a portion of funds as outlined in the agreement. Mayor Bill Holden and CAO Sandra Anderson are authorized to sign and seal the agreement on behalf of the Town of Melita.
The Town of Melita was approved for funding of $6M under the Clean Water & Wastewater Fund (CWWF) towards the lagoon expansion project; and whereas the construction of the project will extend past the original approved project end date of March 31, 2019; the Town of Melita is requesting an extension of the CWWF to complete the project to August 31, 2019.
Deputy Mayor Teetaert
• Streets & Lights
• Southwest Vet Services
• Melita Handi-Van – the tickets are available for the supper on November 15, 2019.
• Melita & Area Arena/Commuiplex – The committee held a meeting on October 7, 2019. They would like to receive three quotes for insurance. Dumpsters need to be moved to the overhead doors on the east side.
• Melita Curling Club
• Melita & Area Fire Board
• Melita Lodge
• Personnel – Would like to set months (two a year) to do performance reviews with staff.
• Centennial Committee/Southwest Foundation – The Centennial Committee will be meeting November 5 in the Town office. SW Regional Foundation will be meeting October 10 in Deloraine.
• Melita Cemetery
• Donor’s Choice – The Board will be meeting November 19 at the Town office.
• Support to Seniors
• Melita Legion Hall
• Antler River Recreation – The Board met on September 26 and the agreement was signed between ARRD and the Communiplex. Councillor Skelton will forward a copy to have on file.
• Heritage – Tourism – Museum
• Melita Swimming Pool
• Melita Health Inc. – The Board will be meeting on October 8.
• SW Regional Water Co-op
• Economic Development
• Melita & Area Chamber of Commerce – No meetings during the summer months.
• Swimming Pool
• Parks – The Cenotaph repairs at Central Park started mid-August.
• Heritage – Tourism – Museum
• Prairie Mountain Regional Health Authority
• Emergency Measures – Councillor Forster attended a seminar at Headingly.
• SW MB Task Force.
• Water and Sewer
• Southwest Planning District – The public meeting was held October 16, 2019.
• Melita Legion Hall
• Melita Library – The Board will be meeting on October 9, 2019.
• Nuisance Grounds/Recycling
• Emergency Measures
The Council of the Town of Melita approved Foreman Kerry Tilbury to purchase H2S Monitor from TS&M Supply at a cost of $650 plus taxes for the Public Works Department.
Council accepted all Committee Reports as presented.
The regular meeting adjourned at 12:21 p.m.